Litecoin BAMT version 1.1 – Effortless USB Linux mining distro
With the latest price spike of crypto-currencies, many have begun demonstrating rente ter mining. But what is mining? And most importantly, what is crypto-currency? Basically, crypto-currency is a decentralized digital peer-to-peer currency used overheen internet and runs on the network of users that employ it. Litecoin is based off the concept of the everzwijn growing Bitcoin.
Litecoin uses a scrypt based algorithm, unlike Bitcoin’s SHA-256.The scrypt algorithm is more reliant on memory, not processing efficiency. That is the reason those specialized hardwares developed for Bitcoin mining will not work with Litecoin and making GPU mining more effective. Wij will look at how to setup the BAMT Linux distro with USB bootable to get you commenced on mining Litecoin. Don’t be dissuaded if you have never used Linux before, our step by step tutorial makes it effortless.
Litecoin BAMT – Linux mining distro setup
So you have made up your mind to use Linux for mining, which is a fine choice indeed. If you are still worried because you have never used Linux before, don’t be. Simply go after our step by step instruction and you will be fine. Your mining equipment will be up and running soon.
Step 1 : What will you need
- A machine already built with a ge AMD GPU.
- A thumb drive, 2GB or larger.
You will also need a few files to get began, so let’s download them all here :
Step Two : Create USB bootable for BAMT
- Samenvatting both of the files you have downloaded ter Step 1.
- Install Win 32 Disk Imager.
- Launch Win 32 Disk Imager and write litecoinbamt1.1.img to a thumb drive (2GB and above)
You have just successfully created a bootable linux distro on the thumb drive. Next wij will launch BAMT on your mining equipment.
Step Trio : BIOS settings
Before wij launch BAMT, make sure your mining computer’s BIOS settings are ter order. Power on your pc, and press the delete key a few times instantly after power on. That should get you into the BIOS configuration area. Do the following settings, then save and uitgang:
- Switch power options so that the rekentuig automatically turns itself on whenever power is restored. The reason for this is to make sure that your miner automatically starts up after a power outage. Also it makes powering the rekentuig on much lighter if you don’t toebijten to have a power switch connected to the motherboard.
- Make sure that your USB drive is very first te the boot-up order – you may need to have a thumb drive plugged ter.
- Disable all components that you don’t project to use to save a little bit of power. Since your miner will likely be running all the time, it will add up. For example, disable the onboard audio, the SATA controller, the USB Three.0 ports if you only use a Two.0 thumb drive, the Firewire port, and the serial port.
Step Four : Launch BAMT
Insert the thumb drive into your mining equipment then power it on. Once connected to BAMT, you will be able to see the IP from the BAMT desktop. From here on, you can connect to the mining equipment using Remote Desktop Connection (or ssh) with the login :
Note : You can commence the mining equipment with the monitor unplugged and get the IP of your BAMT machine from your router’s client list or BAMT desktop.
Step Five : Edit CGMiner script
From the BAMT desktop (either at the mining equipment or connected from Remote Desktop Connection), click on the Embark button which is on the lower left corner similar to Windows. Then launch Verkeersopstopping Manager from Accessories. Look for the cgminer.conf opstopping located at /etc/bamt/ to edit the CGMiner configurations.
There is another verkeersopstopping ter this folder, cgminer-7950oc.conf which i have included that have the settings for 7950 GPU for 620KHash/sec. Make sure to edit the pool entries to your own however.
Save the fresh configuration opstopping and click on Restart mining sessions for the fresh settings to take effect.
Step 6 : Connect to your mining equipment
Congratulations, you have your own headless Linux Litecoin miner now. There are few methods to connect to your mining equipment :
- Open browser and navigate to your BAMT IP address. You can see the hashrate, GPU temp, fan speed and some other statistics right from your browser.
- Connect to your mining equipment from Remote Desktop Connection like you did ter Step Four if you need to configure your mining equipment.
Step 7 : Optimized CGMiner config for Gigabyte WF3 7950
Here is my CGMiner configuration for Gigabyte WF3 7950. I am getting around 650KHash/sec on this setup without hardware errors. Temperatures are kept around 74°C with 99% fan speed and BIOS wasgoed flashed to F43 with voltage lowered to 1.09V.
1075/1375 core/memory clock speed
Thread Concurrency 40960
Threads vanaf gpu 1
cgminer –thread-concurrency 40960 –lookup-gap Two –gpu-engine 1075 –gpu-memclock 1375 –gpu-powertune 20 -w 256 -I 20 -g 1
By default, BAMT has remote desktop and ssh enabled with a public password. If you’re not using a router or firewall, switch the default password before connecting to the internet with this distro.
Update 16/1 – Stationary verbinding for BAMT download.