How to build a litecoin miner
This tutorial will be violated down into a good, better, best script. With any type of crypto-currency mining, there are several hardware combinations to choose from. This can be frustrating, depending on what your long term goals are, and what type of miner you want to be. There are a few questions you voorwaarde ask yourself before you start.
- What is your brief &, long term objective with mining?
- Are you aware of that the difficulty number switches often, and the amount of coins you mine today, may not be the same amount tomorrow.
- Do you have the adequate electrical circuits?
- Do you know how much power costs are?
- Do you want to scale your operation overheen time?
- What are you going to do with your used hardware?
- Do you have the technical aptitude to build ingewikkeld systems of hardware &, software?
Having a project before you start will help position yourself for success. After you are pleased with your answers to the aforementioned questions, I will go overheen a duo of layouts for you to choose from.
There are a duo of options for building a litecoin mining equipment. For this tutorial, I am focusing on a entry level miner that utilizes a standard PC case. If you feel convenient with electronics, you can substitute the standard laptop case with a custom-built DIY “Open air” case, such spil a plastic crate. This permits you to add extra GPUs to a single miner.
The enclosed cases should not contain more than Two GPU cards. Any more than this, and you will run the risk of overheating your cards &, system.
Hardware – Baseline Ondergrens
This baseline recommendation utilizes some older components that won’t be desirable for resale/reuse. This configuration uses a USB Drive te lieu of a hard drive, and should be run with Ubuntu Linux. Much of this hardware is on backorder. I recommend using a Graphics card equal or greater to a R9 280 (or HD7950 &, HD7970) and above. The baseline proefje should get you approximately 1500 KH/s (1.Five MH/s). The cost of the hardware varies, depending on availability.
The recommended hardware utilizes mostly current generation electronics, and has a better chance of resale/reuse after mining. This setup also uses a internal hard drive, and can use Windows or Linux to operate. If you choose windows, you may under volt your GPU cards to help reduce warmth. This setup should netwerk approximately 1750KH/s (1.75MH/s).
Hardware – Alternative
If you wish to build a numerous GPU, open-air mining equipment, then you vereiste take superb care ter assembling &, running your equipment. Open-air cases (plastic crate etc. ) leave the sensitive electronics exposed, and should be located where they cannot be disturbed. You vereiste also feel comfy modifying thesis cases to meet your needs.
Things to be aware of. Numerous GPUs (greater than Three) will need PCI-E riser cables to separate them from each other. Calculate the necessary Power Supply requirements for your system. Te many cases you will need two power supplies to operate up to 6 GPUs. The added time &, expense may not warrant building an open-air mining equipment. Building numerous baseline miners maybe a better alternative, depending your skill level.
Using the Cooler Master HAF case, it assembles differently than a typical tower case. The power supply, hard drives &, DVD drives install on the lower half of the case. Eliminate the top, and side panels from the HAF case. Then eliminate the motherboard tray, this will give you more slagroom to work.
- Install Power supply, routing the 24 Speld motherboard power to the side, and the PCI-e cables through the center (inbetween the hard drive &, DVD drive slots).
- Install hard drive ter removable tray (If using hard drive).
- Connect power to hard drive quick connect houtvezelplaat, along with the sata cable. (If using hard drive)
- Install and connect DVD drive to power &, SATA. (If using DVD drive)
- Place standoffs on motherboard tray, and install motherboard (do not overheen tighten screws!)
- Install CPU (take note of speld placement, and align the CPU direction indicator (triangle)), lock te place. (Extreme caution, pins are very fragile, do not force!)
- Install CPU fan.
- Install RAM memory.
- Install motherboard tray back into the HAF case, and fasten securely
- Connect motherboard &, CPU power (24pin &, 8pin).
- Connect any case ventilatoren to available motherboard ports.
- Connect power &, reset switch to motherboard.
- Insert GPU into PCI-e slot 1 (closest to CPU). Make sure it snaps into place. Use thumb screw to secure
- Insert 2nd GPU into PCI-e slot Four (near the edge). Use thumb screw to secure.
- Connect the power to both GPU cards.
- Use zip ties to keep power straps out of the way, and to keep good air-flow.
- Connect monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
- Power on the unit, make sure it posts to BIOS.
After you have assembled the hardware, and powered up the PC, you voorwaarde ensure that all hardware is functioning decently. All ventilatoren should be spinning (GPUs included). Once everything is working, now it’s time to install the operating system. If you are going to use a USB drive to run your miner, then you vereiste install the desired version of linux onto the USB drive. You can do this by connecting a DVD drive to the miner (if not using one), and using a Linux install disc. Once Linux is installed, you can start to configure your miner. You can find Cgminer build instructions here: How to build cgminer for Linux.